Friday, May 11, 2012

CBPL: about to be famous?

I just got word that CBPL is featured in a video on YouTube, and that articles are appearing online about her command performance at last week's city council hearing, such as this one in the Huntington Post! I always wondered if these bizarre flyers would find an audience, and it appears that's about to happen.

For folks finding this blog for the first time, a quick introduction might be in order. I don't know this person, but I must admit to being fascinated by her many flyers, which she posts all over Lincoln, NE on an almost daily basis. Obviously she has some kind of mental problem--reading even a few of these flyers is enough to establish that. Keeping that in mind, this site isn't intended to make fun of her on a personal level. I'm just interested in the bizarre internal logic of her flyers. They form a weird "art brut" kind of narrative when viewed as a body of work. Obviously I don't agree with any of her ideologies, either. But here they are. Before today, this blog had a very small number of readers who probably share my fascination with her work as a kind of alternate reality with its own internal logic. I view her writing as a kind of Tea Party-infused contemporary manifestation of an alternate worldview in the spirit of Georges Bataille's "Accursed Share,"or perhaps more to CBPL's chagrin, his "Solar Anus."

Read a few of the flyers, and I'm sure you'll agree that she has some kind of mental illness that isn't being treated. Keeping that in mind, I hope that folks can go relatively easy on her. She's not a calculating political operative--she needs help herself.

If you go back to the beginning of the blog, the flyers appear in numerical order. She numbered most of them for a while, and I have a selection of numbers all the way up to 628. Then there are a bunch of un-numbered flyers as well...

EDIT: Wow! There are articles popping up everywhere. Gawker seems to be driving a lot of traffic at the moment. I'm not near my scanner right now, but I do have a few flyers found on lamp posts from this week in my bag. One of them (last image) seems to include most of the content used in the City Council rant. But you get a feel for the wider range of ideas covered in the flyers:



EDIT # 2: I just went out for a quick jaunt to see if any more flyers were put up today. Just one, which is already duplicated above. But here's a picture of one of the flyers in its "native environment:"


And here's another pole with no new flyers today, but notice the huge amount of tape marks left from previous dispatches:



6 comments:

  1. I love your project, a lot. I'm an archivist, and in my opinion, everyone should find their own crazy lady to document, piece-by-piece. Keep up the good work.

    After viewing the youtube, my immediate thought was: If she were tongue-in-cheek, she would win LOTS of poetry slams, nation-wide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new visitor and have got to tell you how much I admire your fortitude!
    Just scanned through the last few pages and I'm gobsmacked. Who knew about those thin brown needles of subliminators or whatever they're called?!
    Did appreciate the crazy lady's advice about bananas for a good night's sleep. I'll go ahead and mash one on my forehead just like she advised.
    I'll definitely be back as a regular reader (got lots of catching up to do!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite part is the lesbian hit squad that killed Whitney Houston.

    Remember people, Hat Lady votes. That's why you need to vote and make sure all your friends do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. Kudos to you for documenting, this is some amazing stuff. Whenever I am handed literature or pass flyers here in SF/Oakland/Santa Cruz CA, I make sure to take note.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe it or not, she was once a bohemian artist in New York City, pretty hot looking and I was her boyfriend. She was kind of off then (of course, she went out with me) but I am astounded by this latest turn of hers. She used to just fixate on UFOs. I'm wondering if it's my fault, that the vile things we did lead to her losing her mind...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This lady might be crazy, but I completely agree with her on the bike lane section of the 2nd article from the top --and cool idea to have solar panels in sidewalks. Although I think the Chinese spying on us through the light-posts may be a bit of a stretch...

    ReplyDelete