Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Paranoia or prophecy?

Things are getting back to normal: traffic is dying down, Aksarbent made their video private, and CBPL appeared again at this week's city council meeting. And the flyers continue to appear.

Among the other wild comments that have come my way, I was particularly struck by a link to ACTUAL "SUBLIMINAL" LAMP POSTS in an article that was published just yesterday! I'm stuck speechless by that one: paranoia or prophecy?

So many things about the video situation continue to irritate me. While the hate speech/illness similarities were depressing, I find hasty, sloppy, unresearched "journalism" being quickly produced for consumption by people who don't read accurately and are compelled to add their own ridiculous levels of hyperbole just as terrifying. Reading many of the comments around the 'net, I'd say there's a dissertation waiting to be written about the ineptitudes of "crowd-sourced" information flow and the lack of journalistic rigor in an age that necessitates comments sections on news sites to keep revenue flowing. The contrast between the content of the flyers collected here and commentary from the public at large seems to be diminishing every day...

PS: there are a few flyers appearing below this post that you might not have seen. The blog is set up to "schedule" posts every few days, but I had reverted the new stuff to draft status. I just released them back to the schedule...

No comments:

Post a Comment